Welcome to the Dartmouth Sportsplex’s new blog. Through this blog we hope that we can connect with all of you (members and non-members) and share some good stories, helpful information, and fun ideas. We’d love to hear your feedback, so feel free to leave us comments! In addition, if you have any ideas that you would like us to talk about here, feel free to let us know.
About the Dartmouth Sportsplex:
The Dartmouth Sportsplex is an indoor sports and community centre in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , opened 1982. It houses an arena, two swimming pools with water slides, and other fitness, leisure and events facilities. The Sportsplex is conveniently located at 110 Wyse Rd just beside the MacDonald bridge.
- Facility space and support services for trade shows, assemblies, conventions, and meeting rooms
- A health & fitness centre including a weight room, cardio theater, fitness classes, racquetball & squash courts, and rubberized running track
- 2 swimming pools: 8 lane, 25m competitive pool & warm water training pool; 4 water slides; diving board; Tarzan rope; whirlpool, steam room & sauna; and swim equipment
- An arena including ice rental, public skating, and skating lessons
- Children’s programs including swimming, dance, gymnastics, and skating lessons, along with special summer & holiday camps and workshops.
- A 4-nights/week Bingo Hall supporting the work of the Dartmouth Sportsplex
A quick introduction to those who will be running this blog:
Doreen MacLean, P.Dt., Member Engagement and Health Education Coordinator
Doreen is a Dietitian who truly believes that proper nutrition can be exactly what you need to feel better, more energized, and happy! Outside work, Doreen likes to read, go camping, and hang out with her pet rabbit, Chester.
Sarah White, B.F.A. (York University) Athletic Program Coordinator
Certified personal trainer and Fitness Instructor (Can-Fit-Pro)
Sarah has spent over ten years working in the health and fitness industry and loves helping people meet their goals. Sarah loves working out, dancing, and spending time on the water.
Chelsea Mitchell, PTA/OTA, Child and Youth Programmer
As a child, Chelsea’s mother put her in gymnastics, and Chelsea decided she never wanted to stop. She has been participating in Sportsplex programs from a young age, and has a passion for working with kids and youth and physical activity.
Ryan Kemp, Aquatic Program Coordinator
Ryan started working in aquatics as a swim instructor at the Sackville Sports Stadium in 2002, and started with the Dartmouth Sportsplex in 2007. Ryan has competed internationally in triathlons, and enjoys coaching the Sportsplex’s triathlon training group.
Ian Kennedy, Aquatic Programs Supervisor
Ian has been in Aquatics for 5 years. He is an Instructor Trainer with both the Red Cross and the Lifesaving Society. Outside the office, Ian likes to follows a healthy lifestyle of eating right and working out, and he enjoys copious amounts of coffee.